Home > Articles > Sad Fast Food Facts
Sad Fast Food Facts
Eating out, and fast food in particular are more common now than in any time in the history of mankind. Unfortunately, here are some sad facts about the fast food industry and McDonald's in particular:
- Each day, 1 in 4 Americans visits a fast food restaurant
- In 1972, we spent 3 billion a year on fast food - today we spend more than 110 billion
- McDonald's feeds more than 46 million people a day - more than the entire population of Spain
- French fries are the most eaten vegetable in America
- You would have to walk for seven hours straight to burn off a Super Sized Coke, fry and Big Mac
- In the U.S., we eat more than 1,000,000 animals an hour
- 60 % of all Americans are either overweight or obese
- One in every three children born in the year 2000 will develop diabetes in their lifetime
- Left unabated, obesity will surpass smoking as the leading cause of preventable death in America
- Obesity has been linked to: Hypertension, Coronary Heart Disease, Adult Onset Diabetes, Stroke, Gall Bladder Disease, Osteoarthritis, Sleep Apnea, Respiratory Problems, Endometrial, Breast, Prostate and Colon Cancers, Dyslipidemia, steatohepatitis, insulin resistance, breathlessness, Asthma, Hyperuricaemia, reproductive hormone abnormalities, polycystic ovarian syndrome, impaired fertility and lower back pain
- The average child sees 10,000 TV advertisements per year
- Only seven items on McDonald's entire menu contain no sugar
- Willard Scott was the first Ronald McDonald - he was fired for being too fat
- McDonald's distributes more toys per year than Toys-R-Us
- Diabetes will cut 17-27 years off your life
- McDonald's: "Any processing our foods undergo make them more dangerous than unprocessed foods"
- The World Health Organization has declared obesity a global epidemic
- Eating fast food may be dangerous to your health
- McDonald's calls people who eat a lot of their food "Heavy Users"
- McDonald's operates more than 30,000 restaurants in more then 100 countries on 6 continents
- Before most children can speak they can recognize McDonald's
- Surgeon General David Satcher: "Fast food is a major contributor to the obesity epidemic"
- Most nutritionists recommend not eating fast food more than once a month
- 40% of American meals are eaten outside the home
- McDonald's represents 43% of total U.S. fast food market
Source: SuperSize Me DVD: A documentary by Morgan Spurlock chronicaling what happens when you eat at McDonald's for 30 days straight. You'll be surprised to find out what happens!
Mark Idzik is a health coach with a national clientele who helps his clients lose weight, feel better, overcome health challenges and make better health choices. Get his 37 free tips to guaranteed weight loss by visiting: http://www.Everyday-Weight-Loss.com